Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Lily Allen @ GAMH 2-6-07

So I just got home from a very early/very weird show of Lily Allen.

Let's start out with why this was a weird show. First all, the show started at 8, had a 30 min. craptacular set from DJ Party Ben, there was a barracade in front of the stage, which I've never seen at GAMH before, and the crowd was just kinda awkward.

To top off the weirdness, there was no opening band, for a $20 show, and Lily went on at 9pm. I know from seeing her before that her sets are fairly compact especially because she really only has one album worth of material plus whatever covers she chooses to perform.

Overall, this show was good, just not as good as the last time I saw her at Mighty for the Not So Silent Night after party. Lily was dressed down, as she refered to herself as feeling lazy and mentioning how this was the first audience that has really gotten to see her ass in jeans. However, she looked just as cute as she always does. I think she is one of the most attractive ladies in music right now, but that's beyond the fact.

Lily's voice live sounds great, and exactly like her record. She is a good performer and interacts with the crowd just to the point that she leaves you wanting a bit more, but not too much to where you're sitting there thinking "I'd wish she'd just play her songs." She's witty, although she used a few of the same jokes as she had the last time I'd seen her. Overall it was a good show, although, not being a Specials fan, I was semi-bummed with her songs chosen for her encore. The first was the Special's cover, and then she ended with Alfie. I like Alfie, but it just doesn't do it for me as a closer.

Her hour long set was solid with only a few small dislikes in my opinion. I still wished the show wasn't over at 10 and they would've put in an opener instead of just DJ Party Ben, who spins horrible mashups that took me back to 2005.

I look forward to her having more new songs, even though the one new one she did play tonite was a great ballad.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, such venom. Sorry you didn't enjoy my set. During the last 1/2 hour, I played about 50% mashups, in a nod to Allen's regular DJ Mark Ronson who makes mashups a central part of his set. I also included a new LCD Soundsystem track, local hip-hop like Too Short and E-40 and, in tribute to Ms. Allen, some tracks from The Specials, the English Beat, and a reggae/Queen mashup from French producers Loo and Placido. Only one of my tracks was actually from 2005: The White Stripes vs. Eric B & Rakim.

I'm not sure what would have been more appropriate to play before Lily Allen. The people around me upstairs seemed to enjoy the set. If you have any suggestions as to what I did incorrectly, rather than just weird bitter comments about how mashups are so last year, I'd be happy to hear them.

February 07, 2007 10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home